|Unadilla was platted in 1871 along the Midland Pacific Railway, which entered the state at Nebraska City and continued west through Unadilla and points beyond.
These connected buildings were designed as Unadilla's "Main Street Historic District" and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. The district is located on a triangle shaped lot and the buildings diminish in size and scale from east to west, running parallel to the curve of the railroad tracks which reflects the path of the Little Nemaha River.
The district is visually and architecturally dominated by the First National Bank building. It and the adjacent Duncan building were both constructed in 1908. M.W. Duncan was serving in Nebraska's Legislature when he directed construction of his building. H.A. Butt was instrumental in relocating this bank building from the west end of main street to its present location, while serving as the bank's president. The remaining buildings were constructed after the fire of 1911. In order they are: Russel and Wallen Hardware Store, Darling Pharmacy.
|Countryside Bank, which first opened its doors in 1888. Great architecture - great people.|
|The Duncan Building, to the left of the Bank, serves as a meeting/conference center. It was built at the same time as the Bank, and these two buildings are the only ones that survived the fire of 1911.|
|Unadilla Hardware on the right and "The Bar" on the left. Where the two buildings join is where the curve in our Main Street is the most noticeable. Unadilla's Main Street was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. Barbara J. Wilhelm spent two years researching the information and making the application.|